Re: Creationism Is Correct?

christy@rschp2.anu.edu.au (Andrew Christy) wrote:

> madhudvisa@krishna.org (Madhudvisa dasa       ) writes:

>>>Why? I'm happy enough as I am.
>>
>>  That is maya. Everybody thinks they are happy [or at least they will be
>>  happy in the future]. Just go to the hospital and ask the people who
>>  are suffering there, "How are you today Mrs. Such&such", "Oh today I'm
>>  much beter..." It's what enables us to go on struggling in the material
>>  world. It's not a happy place. We don't want to get old, but we are
>>  forced to, we don't want to get sick, but we are forced to, we don't
>>  want to die but we have to. There are also three other types of
>>  problems here; our mind is always causing problems, even when there is
>>  nothing to worry about we are anxious about something; the other living
>>  entities cause us distress [other people, mosquitoes, flies, etc.]; and
>>  so many problems are imposed on us by nature [too hot, too cold,
>>  earthquakes, fires, etc...]
>>
>>  To consider oneself happy surrounded by so many problems is not so
>>  intelligent.
>>
>What an utterly  miserable, depressing worldview! And I always thought that
>maya was the cause of dukkha (suffering) rather than illusory happiness!
>Madhuvisa: do you Krishna-'Conscious' people *really* see things this way
>round?

  That's the way it is. Maya gives us the ability to see it the other
  way! This world is not a very nice place... There's another world where
  things are differently situated.

  Maya means "not this". It means to accept something which is not real
  or to accept one thing as something else. We may accept something as
  pleasurable which ends up causing us distress, that is maya.  Both
  material happiness (suka) and material distress (duhkha) are
  temporary.

          matra-sparsas tu kaunteya sitosna-sukha-duhkha-dah
             agamapayino 'nityas tams titiksasva bharata

"O son of Kunti, the non-permanent appearance of happiness and distress,
and their disappearance in due course, are like the appearance and
disappearance of winter and summer seasons. They arise from sense
perception, O scion of Bharata, and one must learn to tolerate them
without being disturbed."  (Bhagavad-gita 2.14)

  We, the spiritual living entities, are naturally full of pleasure
  (anandamaya) but in this material world we accept the material senses
  as sources of pleasure but actually pleasure is spiritual, it's not
  connected with satisfying the body. I am not this body. I am the person
  within. Real pleasure is different form sense pleasure. Accepting sense
  pleasure as real pleasure is maya.

>   Fortunately, I think that your rejection of both intellect and happiness
>puts you in a minority.

  I did not reject intelect at all, and I only rejected material
  happiness which you have experience of as temporary. We experience
  spiritual happiness which is real and eternal. So I have not rejected
  happiness, only temporary material happiness. Devotees are very happy
  because we are untouched by material happiness and distress. And yes,
  we are in the minority. This is maya's kingdom!

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!