Re: Buddhism and God

thomasmc@netcom.com (Tom McFarlane) wrote:

>hayesstw@alpha.unisa.ac.za wrote:

>: But at the heart of Christianity is a relationship between persons - between
>: God us. Buddhism seems to deny any such thing as a person - either God or
>: human. That is one of the differences.

>Jesus taught "I and the Father are One."  The relationship is therefore
>that of identity, in which case Jesus seems to be denied as a person, or
>God seems to be denied as transcendent.  And herein lies the profundity
>at the heart of Christianity:  the manifest person is identical to the
>transcendent reality.  Sounds kind of like the Buddhist teaching that
>samsara is nirvana, doesn't it?

NO!

Jesus is clearly a person. How can you say "Jesus is denied as a person!" It's a
crazy statement. His father is also a person. But he (Jesus) and his father (God)
are on in purpose. Jesus is his father's representative. It's clear if you want to
understand it...

As far as Buddhists teaching that samsara is nivana I don't know of course... but
samsara is definately NOT nirvana. Samsara is the repeatition of birth and death.

Nirvana it the end to samsara... After all these are our sanskrit terms... How can
anyone equate samsara with nirvana?

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!