Re: This world a miserable place?

mani@srirangam.esd.sgi.com (Mani Varadarajan) wrote:

>This will be my last post on the subject, because my

>disputants don't seem to realize that they contradict

>themselves.

>Note the following two paragraphs.

>In article <3u6i3i$eon@franklin.cc.utas.edu.au> madhudvisa@krishna.org (Madhudvisa dasa       ) writes:

>> If we can be cured of this disease of identifying with the body our

>> material existence is finished. A devotee fully engaged in the service of

>> his bonafide spiritual master and Krishna is no longer in the material

>> world. He is transcendental to the pains and pleasures that are naturally

>> coming and going like the waves of the ocean.

>[...]

>> The material world is still miserable, there's no question about that. I

>> have described some of the miseries... There are many, but a self-realized

>> soul is not in the material world, that is the main point. His

>> consciousness is always fixed on the lotus feet of Krishna. It doesn't

>> matter where he is physically.

>What the heck is this supposed to mean? Is the self-realized person

>physically living in this world or not?

His body is here but his consciousness is with Krishna. So he is not

touched by the waves of material nature. Happiness and distress are coming

and going (matra sparsas tu..) like the summer and winter seasons but the

material happiness and distress do not affect a self-realized soul... His

body is sometimes in a comfortable position and sometimes in a painful

position but he has realized he is not the body, so it is a different

thing.

>If he is, he is not miserable, according to what you say. If he

>is not miserable, it is possible to not be miserable while living

>here.

Yes. If one is engaged in Krishna's service he will be happy anywhere, but

then he is with Krishna... That's why Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhup prayed:

"O almighty Lord, I have no desire to accumulate wealth, nor do I desire

beautiful women, nor do I want any followers. I only want Your causeless

devotional service, birth after birth." (Siksastaka 4)

So He is not asking for anything except to remain in Krishna's service. It

doesn't matter to a pure devotee, for him his business is the same

everywhere: heaven, hell or the spiritual world. He serves Krishna in all

circumstances. So no matter where he is "physically" his consciousness is

with Krishna. He is not miserable in this miserable world, but he feels

compassion for the others suffering here for want of knowledge about

Krishna so he tries to help them by telling them something about

Krishna...

"O best of great personalities, I am not at all afraid of material

existence, for wherever I stay I am fully absorbed in thoughts of Your

glories and activities. My concern is only for the fools and rascals who

are making elaborate plans for material happiness and maintaining their

families, societies and countries. I am simply concerned with love for

them." (Prahlada Maharaja to Lord Nrsimhadeva Srimad Bhagavatam 7.9.43)

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy [even in this miserable world!]

Hare Krishna!

Your servant,

Madhudvisa dasa

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)      /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!