Questions and Answers About Krishna

Dear Dave

Hello. Hare Krishna. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Thank's for reading "What Happened to the Hare Krishna's" </archive/msg00089.html>. It is sad. It's why the streets of the

world's cities are now quiet (no more chanting symbols and "Hare Krishna Hare

Krishna" ringing out over the traffic noise in our big cities... And where are

the devotees distributing Srila Prabhupada's books?) So it is a very sad

situation. But we have to try to please Srila Prabhupada and preach Krishna

consciousness anyhow. His movement will go on, that's certain, however it may

not be done by ISKCON. Time will tell. But Lord Caitanya's Sankirtana movement

will not be stopped!

I do very much enjoy talking about Krishna, answering questions about Krishna,

as you have noted from the Sudarsana archive. It's our business. To read about

Krishna from Srila Prabhupada's books, to put it into practice in our own lives

and then to try and tell others. It's beneficial for both the speaker and the

hearer. Both make spiritual advancement. The Srimad-Bhagavatam is spoken by

Srila Sukadeva Goswami and it is heard by Pariksit Maharaja. Both of them

became liberated, Sukadeva by chanting and Pariksit by hearing. So I like to

answer questions about Krishna because such questions and answers are

all-auspicious. It's good for the person asking the question and it's good for

me also. If you look around the world you will find everyone is asking

questions and giving answers. It's going on in the market (what is the price?),

it's going on in the schools and colleges, it's the subject matter for the

newspapers and television... But this mundane questioning and answering simply

entangles us more and more in the tangle of material actions and reactions...

But when that same questioning and answering mentality is transferred to the

subject of Krishna it is the source of liberation, it's a means of cutting

through the tangled web material life... So it is very auspicious, questions

and answers about Krishna.

It's probably good you are not involved with ISKCON at the moment. They have

missed the point. I think you can understand this from reading "What Happened

to the Hare Krishna's" and your limited dealings with them. I have tried so

many times to live in ISKCON temples and serve Srila Prabhupada there but the

mood is all wrong. I don't want to talk about these things. It is not very

enlivening. But it is a fact, they have missed the point.

I am very happy you have most of Srila Prabhupada's books and have studied some

of them very deeply. It's a pity that you let the non-response of ISKCON to so

many of your letters get you down. We have to be very determined in practising

Krishna consiousness. There will be so many difficulties, practically becoming

Krishna conscious means declaring war on maya (the material energy). So maya

will try her best to distract us. We have to be very alert and not let her

disturb our devotional service.

As for the Lilamrta, it's nice, but it is certainly not on the same level as

the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Srila Prabhupada often said "If you want to know me --

read my books". So that is the real way to know Srila Prabhupada. He is the

person Bhagavatam and the person Bhagavatam and the book Bhagavatam are the

same. So if you know the book Bhagavatam you will come to know the person

Bhagavatam, Srila Prabhupada, as well. There are many subtle problems with

Satsvarupa's presentation of the Lilamrta, but it is a historical documentation

of Srila Prabhupada establishing the Krishna consciousness movement and it is

the best we have. I'm sure if Srila Prabhupada had to have a biography written

he would have chosen Satsvarupa to do it. But it doesn't replace reading Srila

Prabhupada's books and it is written in the middle of the "Zonal Acarya" days

and is trying to support that system...

As for "bathing in the transcendental waters" of Srila Prabhupada's books -- it

is not something one can stop if he develops a taste for it but developing a

taste for it may be difficult for us materially conditioned souls. It is the

highest nectar, an ocean of ever-increasing transcendental bliss, but we have

no taste for reading Srila Prabhupada's books and chanting Hare Krishna. That

is the symptom of our disease. As the disease is cured we will want to chant

Hare Krishna and read Srila Prabhupada's books 24 hours a day. 24 hours will

not be enough... Srila Ruganatha dasa Govami is the perfect example of this. He

was working in Krishna consiousness writing books, studying, chanting Hare

Krishna and other services 22 hours a day. He was sleeping less than two hours

a day and only drinking some buttermilk every second day. He was so absorbed in

the ecstasy of Krishna consciousness that he practically forgot to eat and

sleep. Of course we are not on that platform, nor should one imitate the

activities of such great devotees. But we have to develop a taste for chanting

Hare Krishna and reading Srila Prabhupada's books.

As for not getting any answers from the temple or the visiting Swami's, of

course they should have answered your letters, but you will find that you have

had all the answers all along. Everything is in Srila Prabhupada's books. The

answer to all questions is there. We just have to submissively and attentively

hear them. It is beyond the intellectual platform, it is on the level of the

soul, not the level of the mind. So the pure vibrations from the lips of the

pure devotee act to purify the heart and uncover our real, original, Krishna

consiousness. Krishna consiousness is not something we learn, something new

imposed on us from outside, it is present within our heart, it is our original

consciousness, it simply has to be uncovered.

"Dry arguments are inconclusive. A great personality whose opinion does not

differ from others is not considered a great sage. Simply by studying the

Vedas, whih are variegated, one cannot come to the right path by which

religious principles are understood. The solid truth of religious principles is

hidden in the heart of an unadulterated self-realized person. Consequently, as

the sastras confirm, one should accept whatever progressive path the mahajanas

advocate." (Yudhisthira Maharaja from Mahabarata Vana-parva  313.117)

As for addressing me "Madhudvisa dasa" is fine. Devotees often address each

other as "Prabhu". "Prabhu" means master. So we see the other devotees who are

actually surrendered souls to Srila Prabhupada and Krishna as our masters, we

want to serve the other devotees engaged in Krishna's service as well. Krishna

is pleased if we please His servants. So you can also say "Madhudvisa Prabhu"

if you like. Really spiritual questions can only be put to a proper authority

who is qualified to answering them and who is living the philosophy in his own

life. Anyone can "cram the verses" and answer the questions. But the real

result of questions and answers about Krishna is the awakening of Krishna

consciousness within the hearts of both the questioner and the answerer. That's

only possible when both the questioner and the answerer are qualified. Anyhow

please send your questions and I will try to answer them.

Chant Hare Krishna and be happy!

Your servant