The Bible Says the Earth is Flat

The following is a synopsis of a small section from the book "Telling
Lies for God", by Professor Ian Plimer, Professor of Geology at the
University of Melbourne (Random House, 1994).

If the Bible is inerrant then the Earth was formed out of water (2 Peter
3:5), the Earth rests on pillars (I Sam. 2:8), the earth does not move,
but stands still (I Chron. 16:30), the Earth has ends and edges (Job 37:3),
the earth has four corners (Isa,. 11:12, Rev. 7:1).

The view that the Earth is fixed, immovable and non-rotating (Joshua 10:12;
1 Chronicles 16:30; Psalm 93:1; Psalm 96:10; Psalm 104:5) was used in the
Holy Writ to convict Galileo of heresy.

In Daniel 4:10-11, Daniel 'saw a tree of great height at the centre of the
Earth, reaching with its top to the sky, and visible on the Earth's
farthest bounds'.  This would only be possible if the Earth was flat.  In
the New Testament (Matthew 6:13), Satan took Jesus to the top of a mountain
from where they could see all the kingdoms on Earth.

Some creationists actually believe the earth is flat, a powerful testament
to their committment to dogma in the face of overwhelming evidence. This is
in accordance with the Biblical view of the world.  Other creationists don't
believe the Earth is flat, and therefore literally interpret only parts of
the Bible. "Such selective literalism traps creationists in their own dogma."

Our modern view of the world, based upon huge amounts of scientific evidence,
is considerably more sophisticated.  Nevertheless, our modern view will
change as new evidence arises.  The fixed literalist biblical view is
obviously regarded as nonsense by the vast majority of people, which is why
many Christians regard it as a mockery of the Bible and un-Christian.

Follow-Ups: References: