Liquid Beacuty

                             Liquid Beauty
                             =============

   Once upon a time  there was a prince  who met very beautiful young
   girl. He visited her house to see her but she was very chaste. The
   prince wanted to marry this beautiful  girl but she didn't want to
   marry him. So she said to  the prince, "Alright, you want to marry
   me, you are attracted by my beauty,  so I will distil my beauty in
   the next ten  days, I will  distil my beauty into  liquid form and
   then you can  come and see  this distilled form of  my beauty." So
   the prince said, "Alright."  Then she said, "If  you still want to
   take me as  your wife then  you can take me."  The prince replied,
   "Alright, that's fine,  I'll come  back in ten  days and certainly
   I'll take you as my wife my beautiful young maiden."

   As soon  he left  the beautiful  young girl  started to  take very
   strong purgatives,  medicine which  would cause  her to  vomit and
   pass stool. She  kept all the  vomit and  stool in a  big pot. She
   didn't eat anything, she was simply passing stool and vomiting, so
   within ten days her whole beautiful  body was destroyed. She was a
   grey  colour,  she  was  very  skinny,  very  weak,  you  couldn't
   recognize her as the same person.

   After ten days the  prince came back to  visit the beautiful girl.
   She opened the door for  him. When the prince  saw her he said, "I
   have come to see one very beautiful lady who I am about to marry."
   So the girl  said, "I am  that beautiful young  lady." He replied,
   "No it isn't true. How could it  be possible?" She said, "Yes I am
   that beautiful young  lady, I  have distilled my  beauty, come and
   see it." The prince thought,  "This will be interesting." She took
   him to the place where she  was keeping the big pot containing all
   of her stool, vomit and urine and she said, "Here is my beauty."

   This is the  story of  liquid beauty,  and it  is a  fact. That is
   actually the beauty  of the  material body,  it's simply  a bag of
   pus, stool, urine, blood, mucus,  horrible things. And we are just
   attached to  the  skin  and  as  soon as  the  skin  is  no longer
   beautiful we are not attracted any more.

   This is why in Western society, which is simply going on the basis
   of this "skin  disease," there  are so  many divorces  and so many
   marriages. A man is being attracted to a woman on the basis of the
   skin. He thinks, "Oh, here is a very nice woman. She has very nice
   hair, a very  beautiful complexion, a  very nice bodily structure.
   She is a very beautiful woman."  The woman is thinking in the same
   way, "This  is  a  very  handsome man,  he  is  very  strong, very
   beautiful, a very attractive man." Then they come together and for
   a short time enjoy sex life  and soon there is some discrepancy in
   the sex  life, some  difficulty, so  they say,  "I'm sorry darling
   it's  just  not  working  any  more,  the  magic  is  not  in  our
   relationship any more. I have to  go and find somebody else." Then
   they have a divorce.

   Everything is based on the skin, and the skin is temporary. We can
   never be  satisfied, we  can  never be  happy with  a relationship
   based on the skin only because our skin is a very temporary thing.
   A beautiful girl  is beautiful for  a few years  only, young girls
   sixteen, seventeen are very beautiful, twenty, twenty-one, twenty-
   two, twenty-three, twenty-four,  twenty-five, then finished. She's
   not beautiful any  more. So this  is a fleeting  moment only. It's
   the same  with  a man,  a  man is  beautiful,  sixteen, seventeen,
   eighteen, nineteen then the beauty is gone.

   If we are attracted by  the skin only, the  beauty of the skin, we
   are bound to be dissatisfied because the person, I, the self, I am
   different from  the body.  Krishna describes  in another  verse in
   Bhagavad-gita:

             dehino 'smin yatha dehe kaumaram yauvanam jara
            tatha dehantara-praptir dhiras tatra na muhyati

   Here Krishna says the soul, even in this life, is changing bodies.
   In the beginning we have a child's body, then we get a boy's body,
   then a man's body  then we get  an old man's body,  so the time of
   death is simply another  change of body.  A self-realized soul can
   understand this, he can  see this. This is  a fact. Our bodies are
   always changing. You  can see.  No one  can argue  with this. It's
   simply a statement  of a very  plain fact. I have  this man's body
   now, previously I had a boy's body,  prior to that I had a child's
   body and before that a babies body. They are all different bodies.
   I can see, my  parents have the  pictures and they  can show you I
   had these different bodies. Now those bodies have gone. Now I have
   this man's body  and in  due course it  will also  be finished and
   I'll have an old man's body and ultimately that old mans body will
   be gone and I  will be taken  away to another body  at the time of
   death.

   This is the process of life  in the material world. The bodies are
   changing but the soul is not changing. I the person, I am the same
   person I was in the babies body,  I'm the same person I was in the
   child's body, I'm the  same person I  was in the  boys body. I can
   remember things, I can remember  my childhood body, I can remember
   my boys body. I  can remember the activities  I performed in these
   bodies. These activities are  performed by me, but  the body I had
   then is gone. So we can understand that I, the self, the person, I
   am permanent, I am eternal, but  the body is always changing. I am
   not this body, I am the occupier  of this body, I am the driver of
   this body, I  am the  controller of  this body,  but I  am not the
   body. The body is a machine.

   Hare Krishna.

(madhudvisa@krishna.org)     /sudarsana

All glories to His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada!

Follow-Ups: References: